The body has a metabolic pathway that, if fed the right food and supplements, switches from the fat-storing mode to the fat-burning mode, providing many health benefits.
The central “switch” is the AMPK (AMP-activated protein kinase) pathway, which regulates how energy is created and used. AMPK responds to changes in energy metabolism and boosts the capacity of cells to generate the vital energy molecule ATP, which improves mitochondrial function and normalizes lipids, glucose regulation, and insulin sensitivity.
AMPK has become a significant focus of research in recent years, and several drugs and natural supplements, such as metformin and berberine, have proven to be effective AMPK activators. More recently, studies have shown that apple cider vinegar (ACV) may also activate AMPK. In a recent study, obese subjects ingesting 15–30 mL of ACV each day achieved statistically significant weight loss compared to ones receiving placebo vinegar.
In addition, ACV may improve glycemic control in people with diabetes, lower the postprandial glucose response, and decrease blood pressure. ACV was the mechanism that activated the AMPK pathway.
AMPK activators may provide the following benefits:
- Improve circulation
- Increase fat burning
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress
- Protect the cardiovascular system
- Improve glucose metabolism
- Suppress metabolic syndrome and diabetes
- Produce antihypertensive effects
- Help digestive and liver function
- Reduce the risk of dementia
- Control autoimmunity
Here’s a list of AMPK activators
- Viscous dietary fiber from legumes, oats, apples, and psyllium seed husks
- The Mediterranean diet – in particular, olive oil and the omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil
- Reduction of calorie intake
- Berberine – anti-obesity effects based on activating AMPK to increase brown fat activity; brown fat is a heat-generating type of fat that burns energy
- Cayenne pepper activates the AMPK pathway, which improves glycemic control to help prevent obesity and diabetes
- Resveratrol improves mitochondrial activity and energy production by activating the AMPK pathways
- ACV helps activate AMPK, which flips the switch in the body from fat storage to fat burning
There are many benefits to flipping the switch with AMPK to move from fat storage to fat burning.